What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Double Indemnity - 1944

This film is based on the 1943 novel by James M. Cain.

One day, Walter visits a client. He's an insurance agent, and the man's car insurance has lapsed. When he arrives at the home, the man's sexy wife, Phyllis, raises his interest. He makes a few clever remarks, and they start to see each other.

Phyllis wants out of her marriage. She believes her husband won't give her a divorce, and so Walter sees an opportunity to test a theory. Over the years, he's witnessed many people try to scam the company out of money, but he thinks he can learn from their mistakes and commit the perfect murder. 

After a while, things start to go wrong, and the new relationship is tested. Walter's boss, Barton, smells murder, even though the company head thinks it's suicide. Walter then gets information from the murdered man's daughter that makes him wonder if he's been a pawn.

The plot to the movie was okay, but the murder idea was so weird. The guy with crutches is supposed to fall off the back of a train. That was supposed to be his accident. Added to that, Walter was on board to murder a man hours after meeting this woman. Maybe she was hypnotizing him or something. Because for someone who is supposed to be the criminal mastermind, that's just stupid. Maybe he was in it to try and get away with murder. Also, he called Phyllis "Baby" a thousand times. It's like that game where if you took a shot every time he said it, you'd probably be dead halfway through the movie.

My favorite character was Barton. He was kind and smart. He would probably have figured out the murder sooner if he would've been able to consider his good friend as a suspect. It was just inconceivable to him. He wasn't in the movie enough for me. I didn't hate the movie, but I probably won't watch it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment