What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Island of Lost Souls - 1932

For Halloween, we had a double feature. Our first movie was Island of Lost Souls. I had some problems spotting Bela Lugosi in this one, but we eventually spotted him. This is based on H. G. Well's book, The Island of Dr. Moreau. I know a bit about the plot, but I'd never seen a version of it or read the book.

A "scientist" has his own island where he merges animals and people into strange creatures. Some of them can talk, and Moreau has them trained to say "the law." It's odd. A shipwrecked man gets tossed onto the ship bound for the island (probably the best part of the movie, honestly), and Moreau decides to introduce his female creation to the man.

It all goes south eventually. Who could've guessed that an island of experiments would figure out they outnumber the one guy saying he's in charge!? When they do, there are problems.

This movie was something else. It was strange, and I wasn't a fan. Panther Woman was weird. No one made good decisions, and I don't understand why normal people would think a localized fire would destroy an entire jungle island. Last line of the movie seemed particularly appropriate. "Don't look back." I certainly won't!



No comments:

Post a Comment