What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, October 30, 2023

The Wolf Man - 1941

Another classic monster movie leading up to Halloween. This one stars Lon Chaney, Jr.

Lawrence is the younger son of Sir John Talbot. His brother has died, so he's come home to take responsibility of the estate. One of the first things he does is peep on the woman across the street. Then he proceeds to go over there and press his suit. He demands that she go for a walk with him at 8 p.m. She says no multiple times, but she still shows up outside at 8. Sigh...

Gwen brings her friend, Jenny, but the woman is a red shirt. If you don't know what that is, it's a Star Trek reference. In the original series, when they would land on a planet, there would be random guys with the main actors. They were the expendables, and they were usually wearing red shirts. So Larry and Gwen take Jenny and leave her with the fortune teller. She gets attacked by a werewolf, but then Larry kills the "wolf" with his silver-tipped cane. Afterwards, he notices he's been injured and learns that he's actually killed a man.

So, I was on Team Frank during this movie. Larry was a doofus. He kept pursuing Gwen, even after he knew she was engaged. Don't even get me started on Gwen herself. Ugh. And the whining...Larry was the king. Just give the man a crown. I also wasn't sure why Larry was a wolf-man, and the fortune teller turned into an actual wolf. When Larry bit the dust, I was happy. Frank had all my sympathy. Kick Gwen to the curb and find a better girl. You deserve better!



No comments:

Post a Comment