What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Frankenstein - 1931

I've decided to watch one of these classic Universal monster movies a day until Halloween. Today was Frankenstein. This is another one where I should probably read the book...

So, Dr. Frankenstein is graverobbing and creating his monster. Fritz, his loyal sidekick, steals a brain, which initially is a normal brain. A sudden noise causes him to drop that one, so he's left with the abnormal, or criminal, brain.

People care about Dr. Frankenstein and are coincidentally at his lab at the exact moment of creation. His former professor is impressed and works with him to observe the results. Fritz takes pleasure in tormenting the creature until one day he goes too far. The creature takes revenge, and Fritz is no more. The scientific men are convinced they need to destroy the creature, and the professor sends Frankenstein home to recover while he vows to take care of the creature.

The creature escapes and wrecks havoc on Frankenstein's wedding, but I'm not super sad about it. In fact, I didn't really like this movie. After the creature escapes, he has this really sweet interaction with little Maria. Due to a misunderstanding (and her inability to swim), she drowns. He wasn't being cruel, and no one tried to help him. I hate the way Frankenstein just left him at the mill and pretended like nothing happened. "Oh well, I created this creature, but let me go on my merry way and get married!" Nope.

And then the ending. Bah. Team Creature all day. Dr. Frankenstein leads the charge to destroy his own creation. Then when he gets thrown off the top of the mill, he gets to recover with his understanding fiancé, while the Grinch gets pinned down and burned alive. Sorry, this is another Boris Karloff film, so I'm calling him the Grinch. I love the Grinch! Man up, Frankenstein. Take responsibility for your actions! I definitely need to read this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment