What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, October 1, 2023

The Lady Vanishes - 1938

I went into this feeling a sense of deja vu. I kept thinking I'd seen it before, but it didn't feel quite right. It wasn't until after the movie ended I realized it was the 2013 version that I'd seen. 

A young woman is taking a train to go home and get married when she meets an older woman. She's been hit on the head, and the woman is nice enough to take care of her. The young woman falls asleep, but when she wakes, her new friend is gone. She then is surprised to find that no one else seems to have seen the woman...ever.

The young woman finds an unlikely ally in a man who was something of a nemesis the night before. They work together to figure out whether or not the young woman is having some kind of hallucination or if there's a conspiracy. But why would someone want to kidnap and coverup the disappearance of a harmless-looking old woman?

So this is an Alfred Hitchcock movie, and it apparently differs a bit from the book it is based on. The book, The Wheel Spins by Ethel Lina White, is followed better by the 2013 version according to what I've read. Since this was made in 1938 (pre WWII), there are elements of espionage and spies. Overall, the movie was fun to watch, but the spy element was a bit strange. Think of watching an old woman, who has to be lifted out of windows, race across a field to some trees. It was odd.

While the plot for the kidnapping makes more sense in the 2013 version, I liked the chemistry between the leads in this movie. I'll have to go back and watch the other one again, because now I'm really curious as to how everything flowed in it. I remember a lot of it, but I'll give it another watch for the sake of comparison. Anyway, the 1938 version earned its own Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment