What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Nosferatu - 1922

I've heard of this movie, but I'd never seen it before. It's a silent film, and this version had been restored.

The music of the original has been lost. With a silent film, a lot of the atmosphere of the scene comes from the music and the actors. I've noticed there are a lot of exaggerated movements in early silent films, probably to convey those emotions. What I'm trying to say is that I tend to focus more on the music when watching a silent film. In the version I watched, Berndt Heller is credited with reconstructing the 1921 soundtrack and conducting the Saarbrucken Radio Symphony Orchestra.

Nosferatu is a Dracula story. Count Orlok is interested in buying a house in the village of Wisborg. Hutter heads off to offer the count a home across from his, and strange things begin to happen. Eventually, the count shows his true self and heads to Wisborg. He's seen a picture of Hutter's wife, and now he's obsessed with her.

Hutter has to get back to the village before the count, since the creature is spreading plague throughout his journey. 

I thought the music was really well done. It fit the scenes well. The vampire was a bit over-the-top, but that was a bit expected. The effect of using the shadows at the end was very good, and I liked that. The story was decent, but the cards were hard to read at times. That's more an issue with the restoration I watched. I appreciate the film for what it is, and it was interesting. I don't know that I'd watch it again, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. It's just not my type of movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment