What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, August 28, 2023

The Seventh Seal - 1957

This movie was on a list of 20 important movies. I'd never heard of it, but apparently it was on the list due to its "unique aesthetic."

A knight comes back from the crusades where the plague is ravaging the land. He starts a game of chess with Death. He also encounters various other people including a blacksmith, some actors and a quiet woman.

The audio in my version was messed up. Most of the time it was about 15 seconds ahead of the video, but other times it was barely ahead. My copy said it was from the Criterion Collection, so I'm not sure what happened there. The audio issues don't impact my thoughts on the movie itself.

This movie was "unique." Strange things happened, and I guess that's the artistic side of it, but all that went right over my head. I didn't make the connection with the seal and the silence of God (which was supposed to be the main theme). I read about that after I finished the film, and it made sense at that point. But before that, I hadn't made the connection. It may have been because I watched it at 7 a.m., or I just was distracted by how weird it was overall, but I probably should've noticed it.

On the plus side, some of the visuals were pretty striking. I've watched some films older than 1957 that looked better than this one. I don't know why, but I thought this was a lot older than 1957. It just gave me that vibe. I definitely won't be watching this "unique" film again, and I wish I had my hour and 15 minutes back. It just wasn't something I enjoyed.



No comments:

Post a Comment