What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

The Letter - 1940

The beginning of this movie doesn't waste any time. We start with a murder, and there's no question it's a murder. Leslie states the man was trying to make love to her, and she acted in self defense. Her husband immediately believes her, but their attorney warns them that it may not be so clear to a jury.

It all seems cut and dry until the lawyer's clerk informs him a letter exists would cast doubt on Leslie's story. The letter is in the possession of the widow of the dead man, and when the lawyer reads the copy, he knows it would destroy his case.

I liked this one, but it was a bit strange. The lawyer mentioned that he felt like he was going to pay for what he was doing, but I never saw any evidence of that. I mean, he saw his friend's heart destroyed, but his reputation was intact. Leslie is found not guilty, but she does end up paying. 

I felt the most pity for the husband, Robert. He believed in his wife whole-heartedly. When he found out about the letter, he trusted the lawyer that they needed to get it. He didn't even care how much it cost to get it until he discovered he couldn't purchase a new plantation. Then he found out the truth about his wife. And you know what? He forgave her. He even offered her a second chance. And what did she do with it? She burst into tears and admitted she was still in love with the man she murdered. Sigh...Poor Robert.

It was a pretty good movie. It had the repetitive zinger music to tell me when I was supposed to feel suspense. The end was a bit confusing. I didn't understand if the widow and man were being taken in by the policeman or just moved along. And what happened to Bob? I cared about Howard, the lawyer, because he wanted to do what was right, but he also compromised his principles. So, Bob was my favorite and he was shafted. That messed with my overall enjoyment of the movie, and I don't see myself watching it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment