What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, June 5, 2023

High Noon - 1952

I think this was mentioned in a list of movies with good soundtracks. I'm not usually a western watcher, but I decided to give this one a chance.

Will has just gotten married. He has literally just handed over his marshal's badge when a telegram comes in that alerts the town that a convicted murderer is on his way on the noon train. Three of the criminal's henchmen are already in town waiting for the train.

Will leaves town in a hurry. He was the one who put the murderer away, and even though he was supposed to be hanged, the criminal vowed revenge. Will doesn't get too far away from town before he turns around and heads back. He's not going to run.

What happens next is that the whole town abandons Will. First, his Quaker wife tells him that if he doesn't leave with her, she's not staying to find out what happens. Next, his deputy quits. Then, everyone he tries to recruit pretends they aren't home, makes excuses or just flat out says no. Some of the town even hopes the marshal dies.

The judge is one of the first ones he encounters, and the man is straightforward with Will. He tells him that this is just one town. He's been the judge in more than one town, so he'll just go somewhere else. It's not worth his life to stay. But, Will knows that if he leaves the murderer will track him down, so he's just kind of stuck.

This was sad. The way this man's "friends" abandon him and the town in general was disgusting. I liked the end and the way his wife stepped up. And when he threw his star in the dirt, it was perfect. Then, he just leaves without saying a word. The dang people came out of the woodwork once the thugs were dead, but no one was there when Will needed help. I don't think I'd watch this one again, but it was a good movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment