What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, April 29, 2023

The Mountain Road - 1960

Jimmy Stewart stars in this depressing war drama. A group of soldiers is retreating from an airfield in China, but on their way, they’re tasked with doing whatever they can to delay the invading Japanese. The man in command hasn’t had much experience, but he wants to prove himself.

He blows up bridges and roads while people are trying to flee, and it’s heartbreaking to watch. He gets a bit of perspective from a woman that is traveling with them and one of his own men. All the good will disappears when the well-meaning man is killed while trying to share some food with some starving Chinese. Then, later, his body and another man are desecrated by locals. This pushes the commander to take revenge on a village and its inhabitants.

Something I found interesting was that the Japanese were never seen in this movie. Stewart is trying to prove himself, but in the end, he’s not really satisfied with what he’s done. It was an interesting movie but seriously depressing. I wouldn’t watch it again, but I’m glad I saw it.



No comments:

Post a Comment