What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Forgotten Heroes: The Robert Hartsock Story - 2019

Scrolling through Tubi's Leaving Soon! list, I saw this. I'm not normally a documentary person, and I definitely steer clear of stories regarding working dogs during the Vietnam War. But this one caught my eye as it was the story of the only dog handler to receive the Medal of Honor.

Through eyewitness accounts of friends and family, the life of Hartsock comes to life. Letters he'd written to his sister and his parents are revealed of his experiences and his bond with his partner, Duke. A lot of the documentary is the journey to the moment of Hartsock's death. 

Duke's fate was heartbreaking, and I did cry. And just to clarify, he died of a broken heart basically. He wasn't one of the dogs that were left behind or euthanized when his usefulness was done.

Hartsock was a true hero. His exemplary actions saved men and dogs. And while Duke wasn't with him at the time, I'm sure their bond was never really broken. I hope more people will hear about Robert Hartsock and the sacrifice he made. The documentary was well done, and I'm glad I decided to watch it. It was never boring, and that's a pretty big compliment from me - Good Watch!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment