What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Psyche 59 - 1964

I read the summary for this one, and I was on board.

A woman is blind, but it's a mental problem. It reminded me of Cricket on the Hearth when the girl goes blind after she finds out her fiancé is lost at sea. Anyway, in this movie, Alison's younger sister, Robin comes to live with her and her husband, Eric. Apparently, those two have a past, and as the plot progresses, it becomes clear what happened between those two.

Later, Alison starts to piece together the traumatic event that blinded her. The past is repeating itself, and it's triggering her memories. The end is just nuts.

I was on board with this movie until the end. When Alison is pretending she's still blind, I know what she's up to, and I was on the edge of my seat what was going to happen. Eventually, the sister and the husband mess up in front of everyone (like morons), and they realize Alison can see. What happens after that? I don't know. The movie ends by Alison walking outside and looking at the sky. That's it. What happens with the two horrible people? I needed justice.

I was afraid Alison was going to take pills, but I guess she chooses life? The crappy ending just ruined it for me. The story is based on a book by Francoise des Ligneris. I'd normally be interested in finding out if there was some kind of resolution in the book, but I was so irritated at the movie, I'm just going to leave it where it is. Bummed.



No comments:

Post a Comment