What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, April 28, 2024

The Raven - 1935

Saturday night! Movie night! Next up in our Universal Monster list is this...gem?

Two big stars Bela and Karloff team up in this movie that has nothing to do with Edgar Allan Poe's tale. There is a stuffed raven and they mention Poe all the time, but it's more shoehorned in there than part of the plot.

Jean was driving in the rain like a maniac and gets into an accident. The only one who can save her is Dr. Violin (it was Vollin, but I call him Violin). He saves her and falls in love with her. He exhibits signs of madness, but people come to his house for a weekend get-together anyway. A criminal on the run wants help to change his face, but Violin doesn't change it for the better.

This movie was crazy. It was an hour long, and it didn't make sense. I guess Dr. Violin just liked to torture people. He did have a pendulum thing, but he also had a bunch of cool stuff that I won't spoil here. I think the catacombs and secret passageways take up more room at the house than the livable portion. When I saw the review that said this movie was "horror for horror's sake" I almost laughed out loud. I laughed so much at this movie.

I had a blast with this movie, but not because it was a good movie. It was ridiculous. I will say, if you have a spare hour and plan to waste it anyway, this movie is a good waste of time. The fiancé's eyes were pretty expressive, and he should have fainted at one point. It would have been less embarrassing than the auto-knockout I witnessed. Anyway, this one gets a Fun Movie! review. Watch with a friend and have some laughs.



No comments:

Post a Comment