What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, March 10, 2024

The Kennel Murder Case - 1933

I saw William Powell was in this, so I put it on. I liked watching him in The Thin Man, so I was curious to see what would happen in this mystery.

After a dog show, Philo is ready to leave on vacation when he hears a man has committed suicide. Not believing that to be true, Philo leaves the ship and enters into the investigation. Both the sergeant and the district attorney are okay with him and work with him. In the meantime, they find another body, which complicates matters.

I recognized Philo from the book The Benson Murder Case by S. S. Van Dine. I wasn't a fan of his character in that, but Powell was fairly amiable as Philo Vance. He teased the sergeant once in a while, but it wasn't to the extreme that Philo abused people in the book. 

This movie was pretty good. The poor little dog that was a victim was NOT shown, so I was semi-okay with it. The story was good, and the characters were interesting. I pretty much had it figured out, but then I didn't see him for a while, so I forgot about my suspect. Everything turned out nicely, and I had a good time. It was good enough to give me second thoughts about my feelings of the book, and I might give the author another chance to see if Philo is still a super jerk. Good Movie! 



No comments:

Post a Comment