What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, February 5, 2024

The Revenge of Frankenstein - 1958

I watched this movie on recommendation from my daughter. Her only comments that stuck with me were something about a chimp and Justice for Karl.

So Baron Frankenstein is going to be sent to the guillotine for the crimes his monster committed. At the last second, the baron is saved (not legally) and disappears. He starts up his work in a new city and picks up a new assistant, Hans. He also has a minion, Karl, who has physical problems he's excited to lose when Dr. Frankenstein transplants his brain into a new body.

After the surgery, Karl is recovering well, but then he learns he's going to be paraded around and shown off with his old body. He's already been stared at for his entire life, and he's not on board with the plan. He escapes and goes on the run. He gets bopped on the head, short-circuiting his brain and turning him into a monster.

This movie was something. I understand the whole Justice for Karl thing. The man just wanted to be whole, but there were also some strange things. After he starts to descend into madness, he starts to exhibit the same physical issues he had before. Maybe he can manifest the hand and leg issues, but how did he manifest the hump on his back? 

I know I'm not supposed to root for the baron, but it was Peter Cushing, and I like him. I thought it was funny his code name was Dr. Stein. Before they revealed his assumed first name, I figured his name was Dr. Frank N. Stein. It wasn't, but when he pops back up at the end, his name is now Dr. Franck. Seriously? I definitely felt bad for Karl, but he did assist in the nefarious work of Dr. Frankenstein and helped kill a priest, so it's a double-edged sword.

Overall, I don't think it was the worst thing I've ever seen by a long shot, but it wasn't my favorite Peter Cushing movie either. It was...something.



No comments:

Post a Comment