What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, January 6, 2024

Stella Dallas - 1937

I have no idea what this was doing on my watchlist. After seeing it, I am still at a loss to determine why it was on there. It's based on a 1923 novel by Olive Higgins Prouty. I have no interest in reading it.

Stella manipulates her way into the life of Stephen, which she believes will improve her social standing. It does, but she also ends up with a child to take care of. Stella acts like a toddler and accuses her husband of treating her poorly.

They end up living separate lives, and Stella has their child, Laurel, most of the time. When Stephen reconnects with an old flame, the claws come out. Stella is determined to show who holds all the cards by showing Laurel the kind of luxurious life she's experiencing with her father. Unfortunately, Stella sticks out like a clown at a business meeting. Laurel is embarrassed, and they head home.

Stella is suddenly willing to sacrifice her feelings for Laurel. She plans for Laurel to live with her father and his new wife. When Laurel refuses, Stella puts on an act to push her away. Laurel lives with her father, gets her society husband, and Stella walks away in the rain with a smile on her face.

Ok, so I wish I knew how this ended up on my list, because it was pretty bad. I don't know if I was supposed to be rooting for Stella, but she was acting like a child for most of the movie. Even at the end, she was irritating. I think the only person I felt sorry for was Stephen, but he married her. I have no idea how long they were dating before they married, but it obviously wasn't long enough for him to figure out she was using him to climb the social ladder. And maybe Laurel a bit. She was forced to act like a parent to Stella for a lot of her childhood. Overall, it was a confusing movie, and it's an hour and 45 minutes I won't get back. Pass.



No comments:

Post a Comment