What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Monday, January 15, 2024

All About Eve - 1950

Another one that needed a rewatch. It wasn't because I didn't remember it. More because I wanted to review it. There are some big names in it for sure. Bette Davis, Marilyn Monroe (a small role) and Anne Baxter.

Eve is hanging outside the theater, waiting for a glimpse of her idol, Margo Channing. An introduction starts a series of events that intertwines the two women's lives. Eve portrays the picture of innocence and humility, but something lies beneath the surface that no one will spot until it's too late.

This is one of those times where it seems like no good deed goes unpunished. Margo takes in Eve thinking she's a poor widow just looking for a break. Instead, once Margo catches on to Eve's little manipulations, everyone thinks Margo is persecuting the young woman and overreacting. 

I still enjoyed this movie. The villainous Addison (George Sanders) was the kind of antihero I could cheer for. Sometimes. Well, just at the end really. Even though Eve ran over these people's lives, they didn't end up alone and miserable. They discovered what was important in life and clung to it. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment