What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Man in Grey - 1943

I had watched this one in the past, but I wanted to give it a rewatch to see if I wanted to keep it on my PC. The movie is based on a book by Eleanor Smith. I have not read the book at the time of this review.

Hesther meets Clarissa when they are both at school. Their situations are very different since Clarissa is a rich student, and Hesther is a poor young woman at the school to be trained as a teacher. Hesther immediately takes a dislike to Clarissa, but Clarissa has such a sweet spirit that she won't give up on Hesther. And she never gives up. Throughout her life, Clarissa believes the best of Hesther, even when the woman is having an affair with her husband.

Clarissa isn't in love with her husband. He's a jerk and just wanted a "brood mare" (his words). Once she gives him the heir he needs, she's free to do what she wants within limits. Unfortunately, she falls in love with an unsuitable man. He knows what Hesther is up to, but no one can convince Clarissa of anything regarding Hesther. It doesn't end well. For pretty much anyone.

So, this one has me torn. There isn't a happy ending for the characters we follow for the entire movie. But, there are descendants of the characters that pop up at the beginning and the end. I guess they are supposed to give us the satisfaction of a happy ending. I'm not sure it's enough. Do they look exactly the same? Sure. But I watched over an hour and a half of Clarissa and Rokeby fighting for happiness, and nothing came of it. Clarissa was repaid for her kindness by being murdered, and we never find out Rokeby's reaction to the news. We don't even find out the consequences of Rohan's revenge on Hesther. He was a society man, so I suspect not much, but it was somewhat anticlimactic regardless.

I just don't know! The movie itself was an interesting, but I'm such a "happy ending" person that I'm not sure I enjoyed it as much as I could have. The chemistry between Clarissa and Rokeby was pretty good as well. Also, the lack of closure for some of the main characters bothered me. I know the movie probably feels like wrapping up Clarissa and Hesther's stories is enough, but I wanted more.



No comments:

Post a Comment