What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - 1964

I love watching Peter Sellers. For me, he's the best and only Inspector Clouseau. I saw he was in this and wanted to watch it.

This is a satire of the Cold War. A crazy Air Force general gives the command for his squadron to attack Russia with nuclear warheads. He's worried about his vital fluids or something. It's very odd. By the time the rest of the government knows what's going on, the base has isolated itself, shut off all radios and will not respond to any attempts to talk. A British soldier is inside the base, but his discovery of the plot doesn't go quite as planned.

What follows is something else. The Russian ambassador is brought into the war room, and they get in touch with the Kremlin. At that point, they discover the Russians have a doomsday device. If any of the nuclear bombs are detonated, the doomsday device will trigger, and the world will experience 93 years of fallout. Will someone be able to stop the end of the world?

It's a toss up whether I get satires, but I actually found this pretty funny. I found out later I missed one of the characters Sellers played, but I want to watch it again sometime soon. I feel like I missed some stuff. It was a fun watch and easily earned a Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment