What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, December 17, 2023

Captain Midnight (serial) - 1942

I had watched this in the past, but I wanted to throw it on again to give it a review. I also want to link up The Green Archer to my movies/shows blog, which appears on my book blog. I read the book, and since I did that before I started this blog, the review for the serial ended up over there. Anyway, the actor that plays the villain in The Green Archer is the same as this one, and that's why it seemed like I'd already written about it.

In this adventure, Captain Albright/Midnight fights against the man of disguises, Ivan Shark. The goal is to protect the revolutionary Range Finder developed by Mr. Edwards. A lot of back and forth, explosions, kidnappings and fake deaths occur.

This one was pretty fun. It had the scrum-like fights I enjoy. I found it amusing that Joyce was semi-useful. She wasn't really a forward thinking person. She would just shove someone out of the way, and then go and fiddle with the locked door. Or she would stand around and scream. She had a great damsel-in-distress scream for sure, but she wasn't super useful. I mean, at least she tried. I'll give her credit for that.

Captain Midnight wasn't super concerned about having a secret identity. When people figured out who he was, he didn't seem to care. I'm not sure why he had a disguise to begin with, but it was pretty nifty looking. I liked how they did Ivan's "disguises." They'd just use the other actor and have Ivan's voice over top of it. Pretty funny.

I enjoyed watching this one again. Chuck was more useless than the woman in this one, and that's progress if you ask me. In a lot of these older shows, the women aren't usually very helpful. It's frustrating, but Joyce was tolerable. Good Show!



No comments:

Post a Comment