What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, November 12, 2023

Beggars in Ermine - 1934

Ok, so I found this in my folder of movies, and I couldn't remember what happened in it. That should have told me something. It's based on a play of the same name by Esther Lynd Day.

Flint Dawson is the owner and general manager of a steel mill. He's in the way of a merger so Jim conspires to have him involved in an accident. After that, he manipulates Flint's wife and takes control of the company to the point where when Flint gets out of the hospital, he's unemployed, broke and alone. Flint's wife has taken their daughter and fled to England.

Now Flint uses his business sense to start a union of beggars. He goes nationwide with it, and the beggars become rich enough to take care of themselves and each other. At that point, Flint is ready to exact his revenge on the man who ruined his life.

His daughter is now grown and in love with Jim's nephew. She's determined to discover more about her guardian, who has taken care of her since her mother died. When she overhears Flint's revenge plan, she abandons that plan and flees the scene.

The movie was pretty weird. After a while, I remembered it, but I still think it's strange. I don't understand how the whole stock market thing worked, so that went over my head. I think my favorite part was the short scene with the dog. Other than that, the characters weren't super deep, and I felt like a lot of the scenes went on for longer than they did. For a movie that lasted an hour and 15 minutes, it felt longer.



No comments:

Post a Comment