What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Saturday, October 28, 2023

The Magnificent Seven - 1960

This is one of those movies that I associate with my dad. He'd watch westerns, and I know he liked this particular movie. There are a lot of big names in it, but it wasn't something I'd ever really wanted to watch before.

The film is a remake of a 1954 Japanese film called the Seven Samurai. In this version, a small town in Mexico is being terrorized by a hoodlum and his gang. Some of the men are fed up and head to the border to hire some gunmen to help them.

The men are outnumbered, but they use their skills and some traps to make an initial victory. The villains aren't giving up, though, and things get complicated after that.

It wasn't the supremely happy ending I was expecting. The Magnificent Seven don't all make it through the final battle, which was sad. Was it more realistic that way? Of course! But a lot of these men died of stupidity. These professional gunmen almost all died from standing in the open like morons. Or my favorite, the one yelling, "Here I am, Chris!" and then immediately gets shot off his horse.

Anyway, the beginning of the movie was really good. The seven were brought together in a natural way, and the story was good. This movie is somewhat famous for its soundtrack, and I understand why. Other than the ending, I liked this movie, and it made me feel closer to my dad. I miss him so much, but watching some of these movies helps me feel that he's not so far away. Good Movie! (except the end - I'm not letting that one slide!)



No comments:

Post a Comment