What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, October 1, 2023

The Killing Fields - 1984

This ended up on my watch list because Julian Sands is in it. I really liked him as an actor and was saddened when he disappeared on a hike.

During the Vietnam War, violence spilled over into Cambodia. A reporter and his friend are wrapped up in getting the story. Sydney is fairly protected, since he works for the New York Times, but his partner, Dith Pran, is Cambodian and faces more danger.

As the Khmer Rouge takes over the city, a small group of journalists and French refugees take shelter in the embassy, but soon it becomes clear that Pran is going to be separated from the others. Sydney feels guilty he didn't get Pran out when he had the chance, and once he gets back to the states, he tries to find out what happened to his friend.

In the meantime, Pran is experiencing the horrors of being a prisoner of the Khmer Rouge. This is based on a true story, and Sydney and Dith were real people. They both wrote books, and I'll keep an eye out for them. 

Side notes: Sands wasn't in this much, which made me sad. I'll have to see what else I can find with him in it. Also, the music could be a bit jarring at times. I didn't understand some of the choices. Maybe it was an 80s thing, but some of it just had me shaking my head in confusion.

This movie was interesting and disturbing at the same time. I wasn't familiar with this particular event in history, but I'm always willing to learn something new. Even if it's not sunshine and roses. Things like this shouldn't be forgotten. Good Movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment