What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, October 26, 2023

The First of the Few (US title Spitfire) - 1942

When I started this movie, I didn't remember why it was in my watchlist. I want to point out this is related to the Battle of Britain with the title coming from the Churchill quote, "Never was so much owed by so many to so few." The lead actor, Leslie Howard, is also the producer and director. Tragically, he was killed when the Luftwaffe shot down the civilian airliner he was in days before the film released in the United States.

This movie was about R. J. Mitchell, the father of the Supermarine Spitfire. The first half of the movie is Mitchell's history making seaplanes, and then he takes a holiday in Germany. There he finds out the Germans are rearming. He's then determined to make a plane to protect England.

There are a lot of real pilots in this film and a lot of flight footage. I was entertained for most of the movie. The very beginning seemed a bit slow.

For some reason, some of the inaccuracies bothered me. Most of the time, it doesn't. When you're dealing with a real person, I think it's important to either be as accurate as possible or just say outright that you're taking liberties. Mitchell never met Messerschmitt. I couldn't figure out if the dinner at the Richthofen Club really happened. I didn't discover whether that was even a real place. The other thing was Mitchell's death. The movie gave the impression he could get better if he rested, but he actually had cancer. I don't know why they changed that. Whatever. Oh! And the Rolls-Royce Merlin was named for a bird of prey! Not a wizard...

I admire these men. Beyond the movie, I just imagine the talent and guts it had for these men to accomplish what they did. Mitchell was an intelligent man who used his talents to create a plane that was one of the best in the war. The character of the test pilot actually represented a few different real men, and my hats off to them as well. It takes a special kind of person to do things like that for sure! Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment