What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Thursday, September 28, 2023

The Scarlet Claw - 1944

A Sherlock Holmes mystery starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. They're somewhat iconic as the crime-detecting pair, and I've enjoyed their performance a few times. This case isn't an actual story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, so I wondered how it would hold up.

The church bells are ringing, but no one wants to investigate in the small Canada town where a monster has been seen lurking in the marshes. Eventually, the priest takes initiative and discovers the body of a local gentry, Lady Penrose. 

Sherlock and Watson end up on the case by letter. The woman feared for her life, and since S&W were attending an Occult Society meeting with her husband, she asked for help. Unfortunately, it was too late. The husband very much believes something spiritual killed his wife and wants nothing to do with Sherlock and his methods. I thought that was a bit strange. If someone I love was murdered, I don't care who wants to help - find that killer!

Anyway, Sherlock tries to save people, but there are two more murders. The killer is revealed at the end, and the case is sol-ved (Pink Panther reference for anyone who loves the Peter Sellers movies like I do). I liked this movie. It had all the Sherlock elements in there. The detective disappeared without telling anyone what he was up to, thus giving himself an edge in the information department. It's just what he does. Overall, if I hadn't noticed it was based on the characters, I think it could've easily fitted into the original stories quite well. Good Movie!



No comments:

Post a Comment