What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Sunday, July 16, 2023

Gaslight - 1944

I thought this was the 1940 version until I tried to look up the poster for it. Oh well, mistakes happen. This version has Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten. 

Paula finds love in Italy and returns to the home she's avoided for years. Her aunt was murdered in the home, and she was reluctant to return. Now she's married a man she barely knows, but it all starts to go downhill once they enter the home in London. A hidden letter sets off Gregory, and then Paula starts to lose things, and she's told that she's forgetting things. Later, she's told she's imagining things. In the background, a detective opens up the aunt's case (which was never solved) and starts taking an interest in Paula.

The mind is such a fragile organ, and I hate when villains use it as a torture device. It's so despicable, and I wanted to punch Gregory in the face so badly. The way he continued to mess with Paula's mind, even when she was on the point of breaking, just shows how little empathy he possesses.

Thank goodness for Brian. I mean, not even Mrs. Potts was helpful. At first, I didn't recognize Angela Lansbury because of the accent she was using. And a shoutout to Mrs. Thwaites. She cracked me up.

Anyway, Brian was the only reason Paula got out of this without ending up in an insane asylum. The manipulation tactics used aren't new, and I'm sure they're used even today in homes across the world. That's just sad. Anyway, the movie was a great psychological thriller, and easily earns a Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment