What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Patterns - 1956

I became interested in this movie when I noticed it was written by Rod Serling. If you recognize the name, but you're not sure why, think Twilight Zone. This particular film has nothing to do with the supernatural, but I was still interested to see what was in store for me. Just for the record, I haven't really watched a lot of Twilight Zone. Serling came on my radar when I was researching the Pacific theater during WWII. He was part of the Battle of Leyte.

Fred shows up for his first day at a new job. It's at a swanky high rise in New York, and he's a young man from Ohio. He's been set up in a large office right next to the VP. As time goes by, it becomes clear that the boss has picked Fred to replace the older VP, Bill. Fred doesn't really feel comfortable with the idea of pushing out Bill, but he also wants the job. By the end of the movie, though, he can't understand why Bill just won't resign. The boss harangues Bill constantly until the poor man collapses, and that's the last straw for Fred. At that point, he's ready to leave the company, but the boss won't let him go. Fred asks for insane concessions, and the boss grants them all. And he doesn't hide the fact that he hates the man.

I wouldn't necessarily watch this movie again just because it isn't really my type of film. But I want to give credit where it's due, and I'll admit I got a bit teary-eyed at the end. Poor Bill. The end was so heartbreaking. Watching Bill spiraling was painful, and the last scene with him just hurt to watch. The end was a bit of a surprise, and the boss (alas, a villainous Ramsey) was a real jerk. Even though I wouldn't necessarily watch it again, I feel like it was well done and will give it a Good Movie! review.



No comments:

Post a Comment