What's this about?

Lately, it seems like many of the movies/shows are just a rehash or reboot of things that have already been done. And so I started to dive into the past. It's been fun, but I find myself losing track of which ones I’ve seen and whether or not I enjoyed them. Sometimes the titles themselves just don't tell me enough to remember.

I wouldn’t have voluntarily watched a lot of these movies when I was younger. It’s strange how interests change. That goes for what I read, too. I have another blog that explores books. I’m mostly reading older fiction and memoirs, and some of the books have led me to movies/shows and vice versa. In those cases, I may post the book review over here as well.

There will be spoilers, which is different than my book reviews. That’s mostly because I want to have enough information to help me remember what I’ve seen. I’m getting older. The brain doesn’t cooperate like it used to. What can I say? The gray hairs are catching up with me!

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

The Big Lift - 1950

This movie intrigued me due to the subject. After WWII, the tensions rose in Berlin to the point where Russia put up a blockade, and the Allies began flying in supplies for the people. We’re following two specific sergeants and their experiences in Berlin.

I really appreciated the cast for the movie. At the beginning, it states that all the military shown, except for two actors, are actual current (at the time of course) members of the military. Then, at the end, the camera goes down the line of military men and told me who they are. I loved that. And then it listed a few more. Also, the shots of the planes were really great. They often flew in bad weather, so that takes guts and skill. And if you take into account they went to the trouble of making sure they filmed in actual locations where these kinds of things occurred, this makes for an interesting movie.

Now, if I look at the plot of the movie, I’m a bit bummed by the title. Yes, they do talk about the airlift here and there. BUT, it seems like we deal with Hank and his prejudices a lot, but we’re mostly dealing with Danny and his instant love for a German woman. Before I get too far off track, I want to mention my favorite character in the film: Stieber. He’s a Russian spy, but he’s also the hero of the film. He’s down to earth, smart, and saves the day.

I was truly invested for most of this movie, but when Danny decided he wanted to marry a woman he barely knew, I got a smidge irritated. And then, when he found out she had straight up LIED to him (and her explanation was garbage), he was still willing to be with her. I know a lot of men and women made quick decisions in those times, but dang, sir! How many red flags did he need? At least Gerda (not the potential wife) was honest! She was probably my second favorite character. Mind you, none of my favorites are main characters, so does this movie deserve a Good Movie review? But then I think about the amount of hard work and passion that went into the project and the overall experience. Considering those things, I think it deserves a Good Movie! Rating.



No comments:

Post a Comment